What file format should I use when submitting my electronic document for printing?
PDF (Portable Document Format) is the most common and preferred file format for submitting digital documents. With the installation of a PDF print driver on your computer, virtually any program can generate a PDF file suitable for printing. Both commercial and free PDF print drivers are available online for download from different sources. See the files submission requirements document for necessary PDF specifications.
Advantages of PDF Files
- Saves CMYK, spot color, and process color, as well as the spot color in CMYK and PANTONE® — the formats that are preferred by commercial printers.
- Provides high-quality printable documents.
- Includes alternative text for images or imaged text.
- Embeds all needed fonts into a file before printing.
- Provides searchable text and hyperlinks.
- Preserves any metadata that is associated with the file.